Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Blast From the Past: 2004

Hey Yumsters!
Here are a few of my favorite entries from 2004. Enjoy!


June 23, 2004:
Candy exchange
Holy Crap! I'm so excited I can't stand it. I recently met an Aussie on one of the writers' websites I belong to, and we got to emailing each other back and forth. She's a food writer, too, so we have lots to say to each other. BUT---check this out---we're doing a candy exchange!!! Oh, beloved Australian candy, I can't wait to meet thee. I sent her a big box of various delectibles...Twizzlers, Red Vines, Jelly Bellys, Nerds, Airheads, Goldenbergs, Pearson Peanut Roll, Fruit Stripe Gum and beef jerky for her husband. Oooh, the anticipation is killing me.

(2009 Editor's Update: My Aussie friend [who is really a Kiwi] turned out to be one awesome chick. We've corresponded weekly-- at some points daily-- and have gone through all sorts of major stuff together-- everything from birth to death, recipes to politics. Her box o' goodies to me included all sorts of cool things, but my favorite was a package of Tim Tams. These chocolate cookies were just released in the U.S., but they totally suck here. Gotta have the real thing! If I remember correctly, she really liked the Lindt ladybugs I sent. And the real jerky ended up being her husband. But that's another story...)

Monday, October 30, 2006
Holy candy!
This is great. I was just reading the bulletin from my parents' church and here's what Father John had to say about Halloween:

"Help me with something: Every year some friends of mine and I gather at the rectory to celebrate the holiday and hand out some candy. The first year I was here, there were only four trick-or-treaters and I was so disappointed! Almost every year, the count has gone up, but we've never made it into triple digits. (One year was achingly close at ninety-nine!) So let's break 100 this year. I've done my part: we're talking Snickers, Hershey's, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Nestle Crunch, Butterfingers, just to drop a few names-- and all in regular size bars. Because I am a man of hope, I have 167 of them waiting in the pantry. I dare you: on Halloween, make me run out to the gas station for more!"

Yeehah! We'll be there Father John!

(2009 Editor's Update: Father John continues to rock Halloween with hundreds of full-size candy bars. It's the highlight of our Halloween!)


Friday, October 20, 2006

Halloween Hierarchy
Maslow had his hierarchy of needs. I have my hierarchy of Halloween. There's no getting around it-- some candies are just better than others.


Bottom of the barrel: If you want your house to get egged, there's no better way than to give out apples or raisins. Does anyone seriously give this stuff out anymore?Also, anything that can't be eaten because of the likelihood of poisoning, such as loose candy corn, Smarties, Dum Dums or Hershey's Kisses.


Second tier: That nasty peanut butter taffy wrapped in orange and black wax paper. Pennies. Any of that Boyer pseudo-chocolate crap.


Third tier: Necco wafers. I will say, though, that these have great value for playing First Communion and a good trade with kids who've never had them before. I remember babysitting when I was in high school and the brother and sister were fighting over the Necco wafers in their Trick or Treat bags. I asked them if they had even tried them before and they hadn't. This was obvious, as the boy was willing to trade his Mr. Goodbars for the wafers. Bad trade. Any predominately caramel candies, like Milk Duds or Sugar Babies.


Fourth tier: This is Boldwhere it starts to get tricky. This category is reserved for those things that are pretty yummy, but are of lesser value than other goodies, such as: gum, SweeTarts, LifeSavers, Three Musketeers.


Fifth tier: Skittles, Starburst, Milky Ways, Butterfingers, Hershey bars, Mr. Goodbar, Jujyfruits


Cream of the Crop: Reese's, Snickers, M&M's, Kit Kats, Nestle Crunch, Baby Ruth, Twix, Mounds, Almond Joy.


Big-time bonus points for: Full-sized candy bars (any type); Little bags of assorted goodies; Quarters or dollars; Cracker Jacks; Pez; Mallo Cups.


How does your Halloween Hierarchy measure up?


Friday, August 18, 2006
Dark chocolate salvation
You knew it had to happen. The Virgin Mary has appeared in a lump of dark chocolate at a candy factory: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14400252/?GT1=8404. She's no fool-- moving onto chocolate after the e-Bay grilled cheese. I predict she'll make her next appearance in a creme brulee.

No comments: