Friday, October 20, 2006

Halloween Hierarchy

Maslow had his hierarchy of needs. I have my hierarchy of Halloween. There's no getting around it-- some candies are just better than others.

Bottom of the barrel: If you want your house to get egged, there's no better way than to give out apples or raisins. Does anyone seriously give this stuff out anymore?
Also, anything that can't be eaten because of the likelihood of poisoning, such as loose candy corn, Smarties, Dum Dums or Hershey's Kisses.

Second tier:
That nasty peanut butter taffy wrapped in orange and black wax paper.
Pennies.
Any of that Boyer pseudo-chocolate crap.

Third tier:
Necco wafers. I will say, though, that these have great value for playing First Communion and a good trade with kids who've never had them before. I remember babysitting when I was in high school and the brother and sister were fighting over the Necco wafers in their Trick or Treat bags. I asked them if they had even tried them before and they hadn't. This was obvious, as the boy was willing to trade his Mr. Goodbars for the wafers. Bad trade.
Any predominately caramel candies, like Milk Duds or Sugar Babies


Fourth tier:
This is where it starts to get tricky. This category is reserved for those things that are pretty yummy, but are of lesser value than other goodies, such as:
Gum
SweeTarts
LifeSavers
Three Musketeers

Fifth tier:
Skittles
Starburst
Milky Ways
Butterfingers
Hershey bars
Mr. Goodbar
Jujyfruits

Cream of the Crop:
Reese's
Snickers
M&Ms
Kit Kats
Nestle Crunch
Baby Ruth
Twix
Mounds
Almond Joy

Big-time bonus points for:
Full-sized candy bars (any type)
Little bags of assorted goodies
Quarters or dollars
Cracker Jacks
Pez
Mallo Cups

How does your Halloween Hierarchy measure up?

3 comments:

Whoosh said...

Great list! Where are the Charleston Chews? :P

I recently did a similar post on this topic. You're pretty much dead on the same though. Just switch the 3 Musketeers and the Snickers.

There's some there that I've even forgotten about...wow! :)

Candy Yum Yum said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Charleston Chews! I would always give those to my brother because he loved them.
And I also forgot Good n' Plenty. And hey, do they still make Good n' Fruity? Haven't seen those in years!

Heather Chamberlain said...

I have to agree with most, another one i hate is loose peanuts in shells they always flake onto everything. I also loved getting cans of pop, even though they were super heavy