Tuesday, May 06, 2008

U Needham Needhams!

While we were in Maine, we stopped at Kennebec Chocolates to take a looksee. They had some interesting things, including something I'd never seen before: Needhams. I asked the girl behind the counter, "What's a Needham?"
She said, "It's like a thick coconut paste."
"Hmm," I said. "That sounds good."
"You know," she continued, "it's that mashed potato candy."
(Here's where we get the needle-scratching-the-record sound.)
Mashed potato candy??
Apparently this is a Maine tradition, to make these candies out of butter, sugar, vanilla, coconut and mashed potatoes. Who the heck thought of that idea? Of course I had to get one. Back at the ranch, we dissected it. My thoughts were that it tasted like a Mounds, only a little pastier. Liesl thought it was pretty good, and she doesn't usually like coconut.
There are tons of recipes all over the Internet if you get the hankerin' to make some Needhams for yourself.
Oh yeah, I also got a lemon chip which was a chocolate-covered honeycomb that varied between tasting lemony (yum) and cardboard (not so yum).

No comments: