Saturday, May 24, 2008

I suppose I feel a little like the SNL writers must've felt like after 9/11.

There comes a time when, after a tragedy, you have to get back to the mundane aspects of life. That initial step always feels a little weird, a little icky, a little ... disrespectful, I guess. But things like work, laundry and bills all have to be taken care of. So, too, with Candy Yum Yum. There's blogging to be done. So deep breath, here I go.

Henri's Grandma Judy passed away last week. You may remember her from these posts:


Ever Heard of Snirkles?
Crazee For Cashews
A Very Special Candy Yum Yum

She was awesome in the true definition of the word. I don't think I've ever known anyone with such a positive, upbeat attitude. In the face of adversity, I never heard her complain once. There's lots I'll miss about her, but for the moment, I'll focus on the subject at hand: candy.
Grandma Judy and Grandpa K.C. visited us a lot, and there were more than a few times when Judy and I would bump into each other in the middle of the night, scouring the cabinets for chocolate. She introduced me to Snirkles (I'd never heard of them before, and I've never heard of them since!), and she let me in on a little secret: Grandpa K.C. loves candy corn. At Christmas, she made me a batch of cashew brittle that I had to hide from The Baron, it was so good.

When we arrived at their house last week, naturally things were sad and chaotic as plans were made and visitors arrived. During times like these, you find solace wherever you can; I found mine on the shelf. And in the pantry. And in the office. I had to smile. Judy had little stashes of candy throughout the house. There was the crystal candy dish full of Hershey's Miniatures. The bowl of Twix. The ceramic bird dish with Creme Savers. It almost felt as if she knew the von Schokolats and I would be coming and she had stocked up on the candy reserves.

There's lots I'm going to miss about Judy and our shared love of candy is just one of many things. So join me, dear readers, in a chocolate toast to Judy, who knew just how sweet life could be.

No comments: