Monday, September 01, 2008

British Bites



There was a British store in the center of Freeport, Maine that was curiously crowded with browsers. I mean, me, I was there for the candy, but what were all the other people there for? Tartan blankets and mini Tower of London replicas? It's a mystery.
In any case, they had a nice selection of candy bars, most of which I've tried before. But I was pretty excited to see these two: Munchies and Refreshers.
The Munchies are little square chocolates with a toffee and biscuit center. It sounded much better than they actually are. There's not much flavor to them, more of an overall sweetness.
I was particularly psyched about the Refreshers, because they sounded like a candy I'd had as a kid. I can't really tell you what that candy was because I don't remember. But these are little fruity discs that have an effervescent fizz to them when they hit your tongue. They're really good as you eat them, but they seemed to leave a strange vitamin-y aftertaste in my mouth. So overall, it was a bust. I should've just bought a toast holder and called it day.
Now excuse me while I go and have a Toblerone and a good lie-down. I just watched the Buffy where (SPOILER ALERT!) her mother dies. OMG. Seriously. OMG.

3 comments:

DaisyChain said...

I live in the UK, and munchies are one of the biggest dissapointments around.
Refreshers remind me of my childhood, and I am somewhat fond of the after taste.
Will be interested to read other British candy reviews, it's always great to get another perspective!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....was it something called "luv tarts" (not too sure of the name) that you remember? I recall them coming out around Valentine's Day. They were yummy and fizzy. I think they were packaged like Smartees but larger.

Candy Yum Yum said...

Daisychain: I love love love British chocolates. I think overall they're much more interesting than American candy.

Ice Cube Queen: Yes! That's them! They were like big Smarties with hearts on them.