Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chocolate vs. Vegetable Oil: the Smackdown!

I tip my hat to Cybele of Candy Blog for her appearance on the Today Show where she exposed Hershey's little dark secret: the fact that they've replaced real milk chocolate in some of their products with inferior, vegetable oil-based "chocolateyness." I've had several readers contact me about this travesty. What can I say? It's a doggone shame, but not surprising, is it? This is just all the more reason to check out organic chocolate, which has been booming in the past few years. It used to be that you'd go to a health food store and find all sorts of wacky chocolate stand-ins: carob, date-nut rolls, etc., etc. But now, go down the candy aisle (yes, a whole aisle!) and you'll find everything from peanut butter cups to chai tea chocolate bars-- all made with REAL chocolate.
Stay tuned during the next few weeks for lots of fun looks at all the organic goodies that are available. (Yes, fine, maybe I am tag-teaming this with an article for the magazine. But that just means you'll get the inside scoop on the latest happenings in the organic confections world.)

And thanks to everyone for their well wishes. The House of Yum is still under the weather, so keep sending that feel-good juju.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always surprised at the amount of chocolate in health food stores. Surprised and pleased! Carob is a poor substitute, in my book, although an old friend made a really good carob cake for my birthday once.

Good point - this might be the time to explore other avenues. Chocolatey = good. Chocolate = heck yeah!